Sunday 8 April 2012

Sitting On the Fence

This is a post about religion, I mean no offence if caused

Sometimes people criticise me because I say that I am Agnostic rather than having a religion, or just being Atheist. But to be honest, I think being an Atheist is worse than having the most extreme beliefs. Having absolutely nothing to believe in, and thinking that when you die that that's it...you just die. It seems pretty empty to me.
At least I believe there is something out there. Something watching over us and that something happens to us when we die; I just don't have a name for it. I don't for one second believe in Jesus, or that he performed miracles and the like.I don't believe it's a figure or being, just some kind of "thing" that is there.
For all I know, we don't meet whatever IT is until we die and then it welcomes us into wherever we go whether it be a reincarnation depending on how you lived your life; a kind of heaven and hell; or a place similar to Earth where we live our lives backward, growing younger and are reborn as new babies. 
For all I know, it could be a giant goldfish bowl somewhere in the depths of space and our souls float around in that for eternity...
I don't think that there is a 'God' or 'omniscient, ever-present being' because then why would bad things happen to good people? Seems pretty obvious that if there was a God, bad things would happen to those that had done bad things.
This is probably all very hypocritical of me because I also believe in science - Evolution, Natural Selection and The Big Bang. The world and universe began through science, but there's nothing to say it has to end through science. Yes science is used to prove that your life has indeed ended, but there's no way of knowing what happens afterwards.
This is - for me - where belief comes in. I know there is something after this life, I just don't know what it is and have no wish to put a name to it.
I just know that we still have to make the most of this life we have.

On the fence of religion

2 comments:

  1. I still think we're parasites on a head of an alien or something and the Universe is a neighbourhood of Aliens and the sea is grease and the land is dandruff yet he's the only one who washes his hair reguarly hense no other planet can support life. Also Volcanoes are spots and when they erupt its him no longer resisting temptation to pop them. =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I like your idea and where you're coming from.
      I had an idea a while back about us being an atom in a pencil and the doomsday was when that pencil was sharpened down to our atom and we were destroyed

      Delete