Sunday 1 April 2012

Let the 74th Hunger Games Begin!

SPOILER ALERT!

I know this is probably everywhere at the minute but I have to say this is the best book-to-film adaptation I've ever seen. Harry Potter was amazing yes, but it wasn't as true to the book as The Hunger Games is. It's phenomenal how well the writers have done - but then they did have the author on their team.

They only changed one thing, and to be honest it was an improvement - and it's not often I say that about this sort of thing - and that was to show behind the scenes of The Games, how the Gamemakers work, the strategic ways they go about making the Games interesting for the watching public. Because that's what it is after all, an entertainment show.
I didn't know much about the cast apart from Jennifer Lawrence who plays Katniss Everdeen and Josh Hutcherson who plays Peeta Mellark, but I think they were perfect for the roles. I was so glad they used a 'plainer' girl for the role of Katniss, I didn't want her to be some perfect girl. She was tough because she had to be and she'd had a hard life. Hutcherson was exactly as I imagined Peeta to be.  As for Rue, I have noticed that some fans are objecting to her because of her colour, but the book does state that she was dark. I think that Amandla Stenberg was ideal for the role, she had a power and confidence about her that hid her true innocence, because she is after all, just a child in the Games.
As for the costumes, they were just amazing, especially the 'girl on fire' dress for Katniss' Interview. I had imagined the Chariot costumes slightly different but what they did was still incredible. As for the people of the Capitol, they were even wackier than I had envisioned with their painted faces, especially Effie Trinket; she had a different colour palette every time she was on screen.
I'm normally always dubious about book-to-film adaptations as this was already a fabulous book, written by Suzanne Collins, but I must say my expectations have not only been met, but surpassed.



No comments:

Post a Comment