Tuesday 27 March 2012

I Went to the BBC!

All throughout my two years at college there hasn't been one trip and now two come along at once. Today I went to the BBC Television Studios in London, and in April I'm going to the Making of Harry Potter at their studios yay me!

So today we had a tour round the BBC, looking at old sets including Match of the Day and Blue Peter, and the building of a new set for a pilot of Richard Hammond's new show 'Secret Service'. At the moment the tour guides don't know anything about it, not even what channel it's broadcast on.
Because as it turns out, it's not just BBC shows that are recorded there. Harry Hill's TV Burp and 8 Out of 10 Cats are among many programmes from other channels that are recorded at the BBC Studios. The BBC rents out an empty studio, with cameras, for around £50,000 for 12 hours. The programme itself then has to bring in its set and everything else to make the show.
I also had the opportunity to read the news! Another girl and I were hooked up with little mics, sat behind a desk with a green-screen behind us, and instructed to read from an autocue...I think it went relatively well...I'm not sure how we looked or sounded but we got a bit of applause at the end :P
I think the absolute highlight of the tour was seeing and getting a photo with, an original TARDIS that they filmed with! Matt Smith had even signed it 'The Doctor woz here, raise more money!' - this was from when he did a special piece for Children In Need in 2011.

In all a very very good day and it's a shame I'd never get the opportunity to work in this iconic building, I'd either be at Broadcasting House in Central London, or way up in Salford =/


1 comment: