Sunday 5 August 2012

Bad Editors ARRGH

ARRGH I hate hate hate bad editors, they drive me up the wall. How hard is it to miss simple grammatical mistakes - and even some big ones!

Admittedly it can boil down to the authors themselves not proof-reading their work, even I make mistakes. But then I come back to it in ten minutes and can see them straight away.

For example, Stephenie Meyer in Twilight says that Carlisle is 'more handsomer' - Handsomer isn't even a word!!! Why did nobody question this as it simply does not make sense.

But the worst that I just came across (and the reason for this post) is in the new book in the Artemis Fowl series: The Last Guardian by Eoin Colfer. Now I love these books and even though I'm too old for them now, they still excite and enthral me and I was really disappointed when I read the sentence "Their progress down the feeder rail seemed maddeningly slow down the feeder rail". What's maddening is how simple a mistake this is and infuriating in how someone could miss this. Aren't books meant to be double proof-read to escape problems like these? Even if it's a friend, or the postman - somebody!


2 comments:

  1. Read Fifty Shades Of Grey. There is nothing to rival that for bad writing AND bad editing. I can't manage to read it for long as I reach a bit of terrible writing and throw the book at the wall. No amount of sexy sexy sex scenes are worth the pain of the writing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to highlight her mistakes, post it to the publisher with a simple note stating, 'Fire your editor.' Plus the random and unnecessary thesaurus words...why? O.o It's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete